Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Leaping Towards a Glorious Semester

Did I mention earlier that I am currently enrolled in Business, specializing in Marketing? It might be hard to believe when most of my registered subjects for this semester were really incoherence with Business subjects. While all of my fellows were striving rigidly to get some Marketing subjects (let’s say ‘Service Marketing’, ‘Retail Management’ or ‘Sales Management’) to fulfill their final necessities before stepping towards the dreadful corporate world, I took English Literature subjects with all my pleasure and endless satisfaction =P. But still I have to do my Applied Research Project to be completed during this term.

Well, these are my subjects for this semester:


1) AB311 Strategic Management
This whole damn thing is definitely a pain! Strategic management is a crossover between Cost Accounting, Marketing as well as Organizational Behavior. The big portion of continual assessment, consists of Online simulation games, individual class participation, followed by written assignment and group presentation make me sick of it even before experiencing any of those tasks. The horrifying image of last lifeless semester keeps haunting me then. I’m still hoping for a benevolent tutor who’ll free me from that repression.
The online simulation game itself is the real pain! Could you imagine of managing portfolio of a company and struggling to gain the highest shareholders’ return of investment for just 2 months only? The main thing you suppose to do is either to be the first mover or followers who adopt the first mover strategies. Sadly it costs you your leisure time for 7x24 hours for 2 months!

2) HL311 Science Fiction
I’m gonna loved this subject for sure! This is the Literature subject that attracts me the most. The first reading is Frankenstein by Mary Shelley, and astonishingly, it was a splendid science fiction, though I found some similarities between Shelley’s Frankenstein with Today’s Full Metal Alchemist! Perhaps that explains why I am into the Science Fiction modules, that’s hilarious enough=P.
The second reading is ‘Never Let Me Go’ by Kazuo Ishiguro, and I really cannot wait to find out the literary criticism of this Japanese’s famous work.

3) HL307 The New Literature in English
Er, honestly speaking I really don’t have any ideas of what is this subject going to be. The first reading is ‘A House For Mr Biswas’ by V.S. Naipaul, and it is a super long work with more than 500 pages (feels like vomiting when reading it!). The module explained that we’ll observe the traits of Literature during the Post Colonialism era in British colonies.
I do hope this subject will be quite fascinating, especially when you should spend extra bucks to buy those novels *sobbing*.

Cross your finger on me then, I am leaping towards a glorious fascinating semester (hopefully =P).

No comments: