Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Self Proclaimed Anglophile

Contemplating at hilly Acropolis XD

I was a Greek geek when I was still in Primary school (thus I am a fan of Saint Seiya as well as those bizarre folklores of our humanish Greek gods). My curiosity was paid when I visited Athens-Thessaloniki two months ago. Right after, I have nothing left to dig up from them. So, my Greek era is over.
Notre-Dame du Paris

Painting of Marie Antoinette inside Versailles

Moving to secondary school, I am really into French stuffs. My interest in French was also slightly paid when I visited Paris for 5 days. In fact I was a bit disappointed with it, since there were so many constructions happening within the places of interest, including Versailles (and I have quite a bad experience with the people there). I did respect our notorious Emperor, Napoleon Bonaparte, and curse Englishmen who captured him on a battle at Waterloo England. I did admire our narcisstic sun king Louis XIV.

Napoleon III's Apartment inside Musee du Louvre

I was eager to know more about the French Revolution and how Marie Antoinette was captured during her escape (some said because of her perfume : The Falling of the Rose, whatever) and ended up in guillotine. But that’s it, after knowing a bit about those all, it is the end. I am no longer curious, although I love playing board game called ‘Guillotine’ for the sake of my insanity, since the game told us to chop off head of French aristocrats as much as we could *laugh frantically*.

Recently I am head over heels to anything about the kingdom of Britannia (what I mean is Great Britain, consists of Scotland, England and Wales, and not Britannia kingdom as portrayed in ‘Code Geass’ *grin*).

Godchild, I luuuurve the concept!!!!

1) I was pushing myself to continue buying GodChild series even though I was running out of money, because it is a perfect combination of psychotic, artistic, wicked yet touching and adorable historical dark shoujo manga of Kaori Yuki with SUPER DETAILED Victorian England themes on it. Not to mention that it has gorgeous bishounen-resembles-young Hyde- Cain C Hargreaves along with his charming faithful butler. (Adilla, if you read this, let’s chat night and day about dark-angst and occult stories XD).

taadaa, familiar portrait of Westminster, as shown in Harry Potter the movie

2) London
is still my ephemeral city because of its relentless charm and appeal (Okay, this is very subjective). Even though I have visited London for 5 days, I do have a strong willingness to come back there sometime and go inside Westminster Abbey, something that I didn’t do last time. I want to join the Jack the Ripper walk which was held around Westminster area. I want to see mausoleums, tombs and those freaking scary stuffs again with my very eyes.

A torturing device during England 19th century, any idea how to use it?

a killing device *heartthrobs*

3) I am passionate to buy historical references for London’s Necropolis building, Gunpowder Plot, Tudor Era’s scandals, The Great Fire and studying Victorian era. There’s so much to tell, so much to learn about that, though the cost of the book was lethal, and borrowing the book from National Library isn’t my style. (Adilla, if you read this, let’s go for a book hunting again next time XD).

4) Cosplay! I do intend to cosplay in Gothic-lolita style though I cannot (I am not able to perform it physically and financially). I will definitely kill you if you laugh at me *throwing circus knife*. The gothic Lolita style is actually the normal style of little girls’ clothing during the Victorian and pre-Edwardian era. They are so adorable that I cannot take my eyes of them.

5) I am so upset of myself for not fulfilling my minor in English Literature yet I struggled so hard to complete the modules (and was gotten awful grades as a reward).

Foggy London and London Bridge

6) I am currently writing a supposed to be long story depicting Victorian era, a fiction, dark fantasy to be more exact. I did long research just to plot the background story and setting. It is as tiring as studying for the sake of Exams *big grin*.

7) And so on and so forth.

Hence, I become self proclaimed Anglophile starting from now ^o^.

*Anglophile: a person who is fond of English culture.

4 comments:

ryy_ said...

remember, remember, the fifth of november
gunpowder treason and plot
I know of no reason why the gunpowder treason should ever be forgot
...

Anonymous said...

Pret lu ikutan suatu event ato cuman jalan2 doank???
sampai bisa keliling eropa gitu..
kalo jalan2 doank abis berapa pretz???
Pake rupiah ya...
gw punya impian bt jadi backpacker di eropa..
moga2 aja kesampaian yach...
hihihihihihihi


Btw hari nie 17/08 anak2 (dika,wina,ruzi) ultah lo sekalian 17an

Merdeka

Apret said...

enufffffffffffff *njerit ala sinetron mode*

duh gara2 udah liat Fawkes yg aseli, plus versi2 disiksanya segala, jadi ga nepsong nonton V for Vendetta >.<

The reason why it should be forgotten : COZ IT IS FREAKIN' SCARYYYYYYYYYY

Apret said...

@ mriyandi :

Gw ikut Exchange selama 1 semester (6 bulan) di Copenhagen.
Secara gw orangnya bohemian, maka jadilah gw traveler gembel.
Kalo jalan2 selama satu semester, mungkin gw abis sekitar 3000an Singapur dolar yah (sekitar 20jt kurang), tapi ke 13 negara di europe.
Mari mari backpacking ke yurop, hehehe

Selamat ulang taun buat dika,wina dan ruzi

MERDEKA juga ^o^