Friday, November 07, 2008

Apratz and The Short Story Chronicle

Warning : This posting is intended to be an ego-booster; hence please read at your own risk

I thought I am just an individual with a mere passion towards writing but not necessarily equipped with the linguistic talent to write; at least that was what I believe since I was young, that my love towards writing is just one-sided xD.

It was still vivid in my mind when there was a short story assignment for my Literature class during my secondary school. I was so panicky since I was not really into writing. My dictions were all dreadful and the choice of words were in vain –and thing is, I ended up writing a short novella instead of a short story *grin*. The theme was pretty much influenced with the material that I read during that specific period of time –kindly take note that I have yet to know yaoi-related themes at that time, as I was still so pious xD. My first so-called novella is about a physically weak violinist and a precocious little girl who both involved in illegal drug traffic – a super corny romantic story, whatever, but good things often start in a corny way *grin*.

Yes this is a crime story about illegal drug traffic xD

And yes, writing a short story (literally a story that is so short) was a pain in the ass, since I am not used to create a discreet storyline or a fragment of a long story. Though I may be a simpleton, my mind is pretty much tangled and twisted –hence this is the biggest impediment to write myself a short story. I used to complicate a small thing! My long lost friend once said that listening to the lyrics of good songs can induce a decent idea of a storyline, and right now I am still struggling to implement what she said.

To cut a long story short, I joined an online fiction writing class in order to train (and to discipline myself) to write on regular basis. Problem persisted when there was an assignment to write a short story about ‘mother’ with the following objective: “Altering a cliché theme into interesting theme”. I was like being thrown into the bottomless pit of the inferno. What should I write, I shivered. To be really frank, what comes on my mind was the portrayal of a female chimpanzee nursing its baby in the zoo (???). I will self humiliate myself and challenge my sanity in case I really write about that. During numerous presentations and project discussion at work, I kept thinking how to develop a theme about mother that is both ‘cool’ and ‘gruesome’ xD.

Prototype idea : about a chimpanzhee mother T__T

And finally, my accumulated intense hatred and frustration towards certain things have driven me to write about a devoted nun, a virgin-Mary-like, an enchanting beauty with the reddish long hair, a tender-loving-caring mother who has a vampire son being held captive in the underground tunnel of a cathedral *fiendish LOL*. Every night, this poor bloody Mary should feed her son with her own blood in order to prevent him to go outside and do random bloodsucking. To my surprise, I got 99.9/100 mark for this assignment, and the tutor mentioned that he was deeply impressed with the short story. I had tears of joy *sob sob* that finally I was able to create a decent short story xD.

Today I just got news that I won the Lip-Ice short story writing competition as Top Honorable Mention and I am so thankful even though I didn’t win cash prize xD. The short story revolved around gruesome (and incestuous?) love between an angelic handsome priest and his gullible phantom son –yes I know that this is bizarre but I am a bitch for the twisted love story. This has driven me to continue my on-going novel that is already 120 pages long –unfortunately I can’t recall the whole concept of the story as this project has been discontinued since a month ago. I need to sharpen my peculiar way of thinking and not to drag this any longer -_-“. Wish me luck.

And the chronicle is still on-going xD….

P.S.
I lurve gruesome and twisted love story in 2D way (plus it has to be aplenty of bishounens inside); BUT I am an acute haemophobia. Yesterday I just made a fuss at NUS Medical Clinic coz they have medical check up for the staffs –and yes, I saw blood, my blood, during the blood-test. I was so dizzy and powerless after I saw my own blood. When I reached home, I need to spare myself 4 hours nap in order to replace my blood loss… argh!!!

6 comments:

ryy_ said...

Post ceritanya. Post! Post! Post!

The penguins compel you

Apret said...

tidakmautidakmautidakmautidakmau..

apalagi sama anda, huh, i'll be a laughing-stock xD

Anonymous said...

what about slice-of-life based story? these are harder to do, but once you passed the point of 'altering cliche theme to interesting theme', it may end up being something wonderful.

which reminds me, some shoujo manga worked very well overcoming this 'ordeal', while most of them end up only being corny. as do some short story I read somewhere back. oh well.

...and yeah. post the story. =D

Anonymous said...

judulnya "SELAYAKNYA TUHAN MENCINTAI KAIN" ya?

post dong... hihihi

Apret said...

@ yud1 :

slices of life is (err..) not my cup of tea. I think i will pass, thanks xD.

~but yaoi-slice of life is one of my biggest obsesion xD~

no way. wont post the story. over my dead body! xD

@ Anon :

siapa si ni? nulis komen lgsg nembak. STALKER!!!

ga mao ngepost. saia kan pemalu. duh nyesel ngepost ini di blog TT3TT

A.H. said...

Ayo Post! Post!!! At least post di HSJ aja!!!