Tuesday, May 19, 2009


How to win an interview?

The answer is Be Yourself.

What a cliché! We all love cliché nonetheless! Superhero movies teach eclectic stories about good and bad deeds, and that happens for centuries. Bollywood movies depict hilarious cliché of abundance out-of-place rain and trees, and that still sells. Cliché represents mainstream and majority, hence the 95% significance! Cliche's voice is people's voice hence God's voice! (baka)

Most of the time I always win an interview, and its no lie! Be it a job interview, a committee interview, or any random interview. Though I must say that not everything ended up successfully, at least I still think I managed to impress the interviewer. During my undergraduate studies, I attended every career workshop held by the schools, and got advices on how to dress up and win from head to toe. Everything works out in theoretical way, starting from the style of handshake, how many accessories acceptable for wearing a suite, how appropriate the distance when facing the interviewer, how to dress up in formal suite for a specific hair/skin/body shape. In the end I became pretty much exhausted and do it on my way instead.

Lets think about it, imagine, an interviewer facing a bunch of job hunter with same attitudes and styles, same color of suites, same speaking tone, same body language, same hairstyle and makeups. I really pity the HR and the bosses out there, as they will face the same doppelganger over and over again.

I didn't say that my grades are on the top, or my English is so superb that I could sway the interviewers, or my leadership capability is so exceptional that I could run as a candidate presidency :p. Hell NO, its just a super average Jane we talked about, with mediocre brainpower and run-of-the-mill leadership skill plus legendary messiness. But one thing is that, I would always try to be honest, and be myself, no matter what the situation is. Who need a straight A student with rocket science capability, if she or he cannot work in a team, or cannot cope with stress? People will need those who can trust others, can delegate tasks to others, and can work with others. Image and first impression are a crucial importance and its an absolute 'Yes'. However, in the end, its 'You' that matters the most! Lets cross check with HR people (and pardon me if I made the wrong perception. I am no HR afterall xD).

And its just last week that I got my first time coldsweat before attending a scholarship interview (I have never had this feeling before). This was different, the interview is conducted in Japanese, and I just learnt Japanese for 1 month. YOU GOTTA BE KIDDING ME, HOW COME I ATTEND AN INTERVIEW WHILE I HAVENT EVEN DONE THE ORAL TEST???? well anyway, the Vice President himself will come and see me. While I am sure that I will successfully butcher the language, this is my last attempt:
1. Try to talk 100% in Japanese no matter how atrocious the speech would be
2. Write myself a 4 pages CV in Japanese and MEMORIZE it before the interview
3. Jot a possible Q&A for interview, and again, MEMORIZE it
4. Smile and be honest xD
5. Recite prayers inside, and believe that God will help ;___;

It was due to God's benevolence that I managed to secure the scholarship last Monday. This has been a good lesson for me, that #4 and #5 work out better than #1-3. Though I might say that impression does count, but whats more important is your inner rich and personality. And I would testify that :).

And I sincerely thank God, and Sumitomo Mitsui Banking Corporation, for having faith on me.

9 comments:

ryy_ said...

Congrats for securing the scholarship!
Jadi... nyari baito nya batal?

jensen99 said...

Ah, saya turut senang... Makan2?

BtW, saya juga bakalan interview kerja nih, ntah kapan. Smoga suksesnya Apret nular... =_=;

*berdoa*

Unknown said...

@ ryy_: hehe sankyou, alhamdulillah.
baito gak akan batal. eh sabtu ini NHK. doain ya ;__;

@ jensen99: haha ayo mari makan2 tapi gimana caranya ya? hihi.
sukses buat interview nya mas :). kuncinya ada sama Yang Diatas, heheh. kalo saya mah modal nekat selalu :D

jali said...

wuih

asik2, traktirannya ditunggu (catet dulu aja pret, klo ketemu ntar ditagih :D )

Anonymous said...

What a great post. Thanks for the inspiration. I have been attending numerous interviews in Danish and always get nervous, maybe I will get better after reading this post.

Thanks again for sharing!

Apret said...

@ Jali: iye ntar ditraktir barang2 aneh dari 100yen shop xD

@ the writer:
hah? *blush* NOOO I feel so embarassed, for a maestro read a crappy post like this SOBS.

and, and interview in Danish? O__o. superuber awesome cool! and you could ace that interview! I guess u should be the one to write it rather than I am xD

Anonymous said...

Don't be so modest :) I think it's awesome that you can attend an interview in Japanese for only one month and got the scholarship. I definitely need to learn the art of "be yourself". The nervousity sometimes got the better of me :(

Apret said...

i think i am just lucky -seriously.

but you secured the job now eh? congratulations :). actually i wont believe that an iron lady could get nervous :p

dina said...

suggoi!

omedetow :)